Minimum Adoption Donation
Adoption donations are designed to offset the cost to rescue to care for a dog. In no way does it reflect the “full cost” of veterinary services, care and rehabilitation.
- Puppies six months and younger, $350.00
- Dogs 7 months through 6 years, $250.00
- Seniors 7 years and up, $150.00
Ten Steps Towards Adoption
Please read all of this information prior to completing an application to adopt or foster.
- Do your research! Breed and cost information is available on our website, on linked websites, in your local bookstore, pet supply stores, from your vet, and from our volunteers. Come to one of our Meet & Greet events to talk to our volunteers and meet some of the dogs to get a feel for the true size, temperament, and characteristics of the breed. Please read all the way to the end of this page and our Frequently Asked Questions prior to completing the application
- Complete the application form online Be honest and feel free to include supplemental explanatory information. Information on the application form will be verified. Incomplete applications will not be processed. All questions must be answered.
- Wait for an email, letter or phone call from us. Processing can take 1-7 days Please know each application is very important to us. We are an all volunteer group and work rescue around full time jobs, family and dogs. We will be responding via email and phone so please check your voicemail and email.
- A home visit will be scheduled.
- You will receive an email or phone cal letting you know if your application has been approved.
- Upon completion of steps 1 through 5, you will be entered into the Matchmaker Program .
- You will be given a list of dogs that are potential matches for your home along with information about each dog and their suitability to your home and family. You will be asked to narrow that list to two of the matched dogs to meet with for potential adoption. If we determine there are currently no suitable Danes for you, please be patient. You will be placed on a waiting list and you will be contacted when an appropriate dog is available. You should feel free to call once a week to check in with us. Please note that it may take several weeks before a suitable match becomes available.
- An appointment will be scheduled for you to meet with your chosen two matches (please do not schedule appointments until you are ready to take a dog home!). Before your appointment, be sure to go shopping for all the supplies you’ll need for your Dane! Ask the adoption facilitator what you’ll need to get to be ready.
- We have a minimum adoption donation. This donation goes towards spay/neuter, heartworm testing, rabies vaccination, Distemper/parvo combo vaccination, Bordetella vaccination, fecal testing, deworming, microchipping, heartworm prevention while in foster care and i.d. tag. Many of the dogs require extra medical care including but not limited to skin scrapes, special food, additional dewormings, flea/tick products, antibiotics, bloodtests and heartworm treatment. These costs are not covered by the minimum adoption donations. At the time of adoption, we will let you know if the dog you are adopting has occurred any additional expense while with us. If you are able to make a supplemental, tax deductible donation to help cover those costs, it is greatly appreciated but not required.
- This is not the end of the process. We will follow up on the placements for months to come. This may include home visits, phone calls and emails. We will always be available to help you through any issues that come up. Do expect an adjustment period for you, your family, and your dog. Most dogs will not immediately be comfortable, well behaved and housebroken. It takes love, commitment and patience. We hope to see you at our next Annual DaneFest.
We reserve the right to refuse adoption of any animal for any